Apple and Cheddar Pie
Author's Notes: Cheddar cheese and apples make a delicious savory and sweet combination.
Apple and Cheddar Pie Print Recipe
Serves 10 • Ready in 1hr 45min
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (two sticks) plus 2 Tbsp. for the filling
- 6-12 Tbsp. Ice Water
- 1 ½ lb. Granny Smith Apples
- 1 ½ lb. Pink Lady Apples
- ½ Cup Sugar
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- ½ Tsp. Gryffon Ridge Apple Pie Spice
- 6oz Cabot Aged Cheddar (we used Cabot Alpine Cheddar), cut into thin slices.
- For the pastry: Whisk together the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and toss them with the flour. With a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Don’t overwork the dough – it’s good if some larger pieces of butter remain (helps for a flakier crust). Sprinkle the ice water over the flour/butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing gently using a fork or fingers. Continue to gently mix the water into the dough until it is just moist enough to stay together. Gather the dough into a ball and split into two pieces. Flatten dough rounds into disks. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling them out.
- Filling: Peel, core and slice the apples into ¼” slices. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, and apple pie spice. Cook the apples until slightly softened and moisture is released, about 10 minutes. Spread out the apples on a sheet pan to cool.
- Assembly: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out one disk to a ¼” thick circle 12-14” round. Transfer dough to a pie plate, draping excess over the edges. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the apple filling to the pie plate. Place sliced cheddar over apple filling. Transfer remaining apples over the cheddar. Roll out second dough disk and decorate as desired. Trim excess crust and crimp edges. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Pie is done when filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before slicing.