Apple and Cheddar Pie
Author's Notes: Cheddar cheese and apples make a delicious savory and sweet combination.
Apple and Cheddar Pie Print Recipe
Serves 10 • Ready in 1hr 45min
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (two sticks) plus 2 Tbsp. for the filling
- 6-12 Tbsp. Ice Water
- 1 ½ lb. Granny Smith Apples
- 1 ½ lb. Pink Lady Apples
- ½ Cup Sugar
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- ½ Tsp. Gryffon Ridge Apple Pie Spice
- 6oz Cabot Aged Cheddar (we used Cabot Alpine Cheddar), cut into thin slices.
Preparation:For the pastry:
- Whisk together the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and toss them with the flour.
- With a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Don’t overwork the dough – it’s good if some larger pieces of butter remain (helps for a flakier crust).
- Sprinkle the ice water over the flour/butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing gently using a fork or fingers. Continue to gently mix the water into the dough until it is just moist enough to stay together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and split into two pieces. Flatten dough rounds into disks.
- Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling them out.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into ¼” slices.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, and apple pie spice.
- Cook the apples until slightly softened and moisture is released, about 10 minutes.
- Spread out the apples on a sheet pan to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out one disk to a ¼” thick circle 12-14” round. Transfer dough to a pie plate, draping excess over the edges.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the apple filling to the pie plate. Place sliced cheddar over apple filling. Transfer remaining apples over the cheddar.
- Roll out second dough disk and decorate as desired. Trim excess crust and crimp edges.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Pie is done when filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before slicing.