Basic Dumpling Dough
Author's Notes: Homemade dumpling wrappers are a cinch to make, and make a big difference in the quality of the finished product. You can seal and fold these any way you like, and this dough is great both steamed and pan fried. (For gluten free dumplings, substitute a gluten free all purpose flour blend, like Bob's Red Mill or Cup4Cup)
Basic Dumpling Dough Print Recipe
Makes 32 dumpling wrappers.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup boiled water, cooled for just 1-2 minutes
- Place the flour in a bowl and gradually add the hot water, mixing with chopsticks until a shaggy dough forms.
- Knead the dough on the counter for 3 or 4 turns and place it in a zip-top bag or sealed container for at least 15 minutes.
- Once the dough has had a chance to hydrate, divide it into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a cylinder and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Dip each piece in flour and press into a circle with your palms. Roll each wrapper from the outside toward the center, turning with each roll until the wrapper is about 1/8 inch thickness. Use chopsticks to scoop up a scant tablespoon sized log of filling and seal the edges of the wrapper into a half-moon shape.