Basic Sourdough Print Recipe
Serves 10 • Ready in 18.5 - 24 hrs • Active Time: 20 minutes
- 50g Active Starter
- 350g Warm Water
- 500g Bread Flour
- 9 Grams Kosher Salt
- Mix together starter, water and flour in a large shallow bowl. The mixture will look shaggy and loose.
- Combine with a dough whisk and rest for 30 minutes. Add Salt:
- Add salt to the dough and combine by stretching and pulling dough over itself towards the middle of the bowl. If the dough continues to feel dry, add a couple of spoonfuls of water to help loosen.
- Continue to stretch and work the dough to form a smooth(ish) ball. Bulk Fermentation:
- Place dough in a straight sided container (an 8 cup glass measuring cup or food-safe plastic storage tub works well).
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest in a warm (65-75 degrees) and draft-free spot for 8-10 hours, or until doubled. Preliminary Shaping and Bench Rest:
- Once dough is doubled, pour onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gently pull the dough into an oblong rectangle, careful not to deflate the dough.
- Fold 1/3 of the dough over the middle, and repeat with the other side.
- Rotate the dough 90 degrees and make a second set of folds.
- Let the loose dough ball rest on the surface, folded side down, for 30 minutes. Loaf Shaping and Final Proof:
- Lightly flour the top of the dough ball.
- Using a bench knife, scrape the bottom of the dough off the work surface.
- Hold the dough with the top facing you. Working around the ball, gently gather the dough to the underside of the ball. This will tighten the exterior of the ball – you should feel the dough come together in a more cohesive mass as you work around the ball.
- Once the ball has good tension, flour the exterior and rest the dough upside down in a proofing basket or floured bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours. Baking and Scoring:
- Preheat the oven and baking vessel to 450˚F for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove proofed loaf from the refrigerator and invert proofing basket over a large parchment paper round.
- Score loaf using a lame or razor knife.
- Place loaf inside baking vessel and place in the oven.
- Bake at 450˚F for 40-45 minutes. The loaf is finished when the crust is a dark golden brown, the loaf feels light and sounds hollow. Internal temperature should read 210˚F.
- Cool on a wire rack. For best storage, let loaf cool completely before slicing.