Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake
Author's Notes: Using a bundt pan, gives a stunning effect to this zesty cake. Made with our Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil this recipe is one of our staff favorites.
Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake Print Recipe
Yields 12 to 16 slices • Ready in 1hr 10min
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Zest and Juice of 1 Orange
- Scant ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2/3 Cup LeRoux Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ¾ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt**
- 2 Tbsp. Large Crystal Sugar for decorating**
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9” spring form cake pan. Using a Microplane, grate zest from orange and place in a bowl with sugar.
- Using your fingers, rub ingredients together until orange zest is evenly distributed in sugar.
- Using a Juicer, squeeze juice into a measuring cup; you will need about ¼ cup of orange juice. Add buttermilk to juice until you have 2/3 cup liquid altogether.
- Pour mixture into the bowl with sugar and whisk well. Whisk in eggs and olive oil.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir dry ingredients into wet ones. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the crystal sugar over the top of the cake. Bake cake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden and a cake tester** inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack** for 15 minutes, then unmold.
- Alternately, bake the cake in a bundt pan and either sprinkle with powdered sugar or make a glaze with powdered sugar and LeRoux Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic.