Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
Author's Notes: This is a recipe by Lillian Xiong the food blogger behind Cooking on Call. Use this delicious, easy to make homemade salted caramel sauce on pies, cakes, drizzled over ice cream, and any other sweet treat.
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce Print Recipe
Ready in 15min
- 1.5 Tbsp LeRoux French Champagne Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Pinch of Fleur De Sel
- Place 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp water in a medium saucepan (pick a larger pan than you think you'll need, the cream will bubble vigorously) DO NOT MIX.
- Heat on medium/high heat until the mixture starts to brown. Then heat to low and add the cream a little bit at a time and mix. It will bubble a lot, the mixing helps keep the mixture from getting too high in the pan.
- Place in 2 tbsp butter and mix.
- There are two ways to figure out if you should keep cooking the caramel. You can use a candy thermometer to determine how hard you want your caramel to be. The second way is to use a frozen spoon to quickly cool the caramel to get a better idea of the thickness of the caramel. Place a small drop on the spoon and see if it can keep its shape. Once it does remove it from the heat. If you want it more pourable you will want to remove from the heat earlier.
- Add 1.5 tbsp LeRoux French Champagne Wine Vinegar and pinch of fleur de sel.