Crepes Filled with Strawberries and Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Author's Notes: Sweet and simple crepes that feature the classically decadent combination of strawberries and chocolate.
Crepes Filled with Strawberries and Chocolate Fudge Sauce Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 25min
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour, minus 1 Tablespoon, sifted
- 1 Whole Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1-2 Tbsp. Sugar
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Scalded Milk
- 4 Tbsp. Melted Butter, plus more for cooking
- 3 oz. Scharffenberger Unsweetened Chocolate**, chopped
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1 ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Lake Champlain Unsweetened Cocoa Powder**
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- ¼ Tsp. Salt**
- 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract**
- Put sifted flour into a mixing bowl. Add eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt and mix well using a whisk. Add the scalded milk a little at a time, mixing well after each addition to prevent lumps. When all of the milk has been added, let the batter rest in the refrigerator for at least ½ to 1 hour. Just before making the crepes, whisk the melted butter into the batter.
- To cook the crepes, heat a crepe pan over medium to medium-low heat until it is thoroughly heated. Spread a small amount of butter on the heated pan. When it stops foaming, ladle approximately ¼ – ½ cup of batter into the middle of the pan (depending on the size pan you are using). Remove the pan from the burner and rotate the pan so the batter spreads out as thinly as possible over the surface of the pan. You can also use a crepe rake for this if you prefer, but growing up I learned the method above. You need to move quickly, so the batter does not set before it spreads. Cook on the first side for 2 to 3 minutes. When you lift the edge with a spatula, look for small golden brown spots, which will tell you it’s time to flip the crepe. Carefully flip the crepe to cook the second side. Crepes are very delicate, so use a light hand when flipping and taking the crepe off the pan.
- In a saucepan over low heat, whisk together the milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes bubbly. Mix in the cocoa powder and then the chopped chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate is thoroughly melted, this will take 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from the heat, and whisk in butter, one tablespoon at a time. After the butter is incorporated stir in the vanilla
- To serve, put a heaping spoonful of strawberries in the center of each crepe and top with a generous spoonful of the chocolate sauce. Fold the two sides of the crepe towards the center and roll it up like a cigar. The edges should be tucked underneath and the smooth side should be on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve a small pitcher of sauce on the side.