Easy Coq au Vin
Author's Notes: This easy version of Coq Au Vin, or chicken in wine, is a popular classic French dish made easy in one pan!
Easy Coq au Vin Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 1hr 45min
- 5 Strips of Bacon
- 3 Tbsp. LeRoux Olive Oil
- 8-10 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Lb. Baby Bella Mushrooms, stemmed & halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 Lb. White Button Mushrooms, stemmed & halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 14 oz. Bag Frozen Pearl Onions, thawed
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Concentrated Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Thyme, fresh, or 1 good sized bundle, tied together with cooking string
- 1 750ml. Bottle good Pinot Noir
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock**
- 1 Tbsp. Sea salt**
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Black Pepper**
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Cook bacon in Enamel Coated Cast Iron Dutch Oven or Braiser (5 ½ Qts. Or larger)** over medium heat, remove and reserve. Brown chicken thighs in bacon fat until lightly browned, approx. 3 minutes on each side, working in batches if necessary; remove to platter & reserve.
- Raise heat to med. high and add shallots and garlic, sauté until fragrant, add mushrooms and cook until browned. Add pearl onions, cooking for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushroom/onion mixture, add tomato paste and thyme and stir for an additional minute. Add wine and chicken stock and stir mixture together. After allowing the mixture to come to a low boil, add chicken thighs along with any accumulated juices back to the pot, season with salt and pepper; add crumbled bacon. Cover tightly with lid of the Dutch oven and place in oven.
- Let chicken cook 1 ½ to 2 hrs. Remove from oven and taste to correct seasoning. Remove thyme bundle. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.