Easy Pozole Verde with Chicken
Author's Notes: Chicken Pozole Verde is a comforting Mexican stew filled with shredded chicken and hominy in a warm green chile broth.
Easy Pozole Verde with Chicken Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 1hr
- 12 Medium Tomatillos
- 2 Poblano Peppers
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded
- 1 Cup Zia Hatch Green Chilies (Medium heat)**
- 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro, washed
- 2 Cups Onion, finely diced
- 2 Quarts Chicken Stock (can use homemade or store bought)
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 10 Sprigs Cilantro
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Sea Salt**
- 2 Bone-in Split Chicken Breasts
- 2 28oz Cans Hominy
- 1 Tsp. Mexican Oregano**
- Olive Oil**
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Diced Purple Onion
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Prepare tomatillos & poblanos for roasting by removing husks off tomatillos and washing all peppers. Dry well. Cut tomatillos in half and place on baking sheet cut side down. Add the whole poblanos to baking sheet and place in a preheated oven. Let tomatillos roast for about 15-20 min. Poblanos for about 30 min, flipping after 15 min. They will have a nice char on the outside when ready.
- While chilies are roasting, prepare the chicken for poaching. Place chicken breasts in a stock pot and cover with chicken broth so the chicken is completely submerged. Add quartered onion, 10 sprigs cilantro, salt and pepper to pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer chicken in pot until completely cooked through. Remove onion and cilantro then reserve liquid. Put chicken aside to cool.
- Once peppers are roasted and have cooled enough to handle, remove stems and seeds from poblanos. Place tomatillos & poblanos in a blender with garlic, jalapenos, 1 cup Zia medium Hatch Green Chilies and 1/2 bunch cilantro (small stems are ok). Blend ingredients well. Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 TBS olive oil to Dutch oven, add finely diced onion (about 2 cups) and sauté for about 5 minutes to soften. Add sauce from blender to pot and let heat up for a few minutes while stirring frequently.
- Shred the chicken breasts, set aside.
- Drain and rinse the hominy. Add to green sauce. Add shredded chicken along with reserved broth. Add 1 tsp. Mexican oregano & salt and pepper to taste. At this point water or broth can be added to thin soup as desired. Let soup simmer to allow hominy to heat about another 15 min. Taste and season with more salt & pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges, cilantro & raw purple onion as garnishes.