Eva’s Cranberry Apple Galette
Author's Notes: Cranberry Apple Galette recipe perfect for a festive holiday dessert.
Eva’s Cranberry Apple Galette Print Recipe
Serves 10 • Ready in 1hr 15min
- 1 ½ Cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup (1 stick) Butter, unsalted
- 3 to 5 Tbs. Ice Water
- 1 ½ Cups Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- Zest from 1 Med. to Large Orange
- Juice from 1 Med to Large Orange
- 2 Tbs. All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup LeRoux Cranberry Pear White Balsamic
- ½ Cup Water
- 3 Large or 4 Med. Tart Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- For the pastry: Whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and toss them with the flour.
- With a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Don’t overwork the dough – it’s good if some larger pieces of butter remain (helps for a flakier crust).
- Sprinkle the ice water over the flour/butter mixture, tossing gently using a fork or fingers. Continue to gently mix the water into the dough until it is just moist enough to stay together. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling them out.
- For the filling: In a medium saucepan add the zest and juice from the orange, cranberries, sugar, flour, water, and vinegar. Heat on medium until it starts to bubble, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes stirring frequently or until sauce thickens to the point where it will coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the sliced apples and cinnamon. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To assemble galette: Place the chilled dough disk on a floured sheet of parchment paper. Roll out into a 12”-14” round. Transfer the dough and parchment to a cookie sheet. Pour the filling over the dough round and spread to 3” from the edge of the dough. Gently fold the dough edge over the filling, working around the entire galette.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, checking the crust every 10-15 minutes or so. If crust starts to brown too fast, tent with aluminum foil, not tent will aluminum foil. Galette is done when the crust is golden brown and delicious looking, and the filling is bubbling in the center. Let cool thoroughly before serving.