French Onion Soup Recipe
Author's Notes: We recently had the opportunity to visit the kitchen of local Parisian restaurant Petite Jacqueline just steps away from our Portland, Maine store to see firsthand how Head Chef Nick Dalaimo makes the best version of a French onion soup we’ve ever had.
French Onion Soup Recipe Print Recipe
- 3 yellow onions (julienne)
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Black peppercorns
- 2 qt veal stock
- 1 cups sherry wine
- 1 baguette cut into 1/2” rounds and toasted
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- Slowly caramelize onion in cast iron Dutch oven with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- When onions are soft and dark brown deglaze with sherry. Add bouquet garni (herbs and peppercorns wrapped in cheesecloth and tied). Cook sherry until sec (almost dry).
- Add veal stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, add salt to taste. Remove bouquet garni.
- Pour soup into crock, cover with 4 toasted baguette rounds and 1/2 cup gruyere. Put in broiler or 500F oven until cheese is golden brown.