Lemon Angel Food Cake
Author's Notes: An easy recipe for homemade Lemon Angel Food Cake topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of flavored balsamic.
Lemon Angel Food Cake Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 1hr
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Cake Flour, sifted
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- 1 ¾ Cup Egg Whites (approx. 10-12 eggs)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Cream of Tartar**
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla**
- 2 Tbsp. Grated Lemon Rind
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Sift sugar twice. Sift before measuring 1 cup cake flour. Resift flour with ½ cup of the sugar and ½ tsp. salt 3 times. Set aside.
- Separate eggs and put egg whites in the bowl of stand mixer** fitted with whisk attachment. Reserve yolks for another use. Whip whites with lemon juice until frothy then add cream of tartar. Whip whites on high until they form peaks, add sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time until all is incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold in vanilla and lemon rind. Sift ¼ of the flour/sugar mixture into the bowl and fold into batter. Repeat until all of the flour/sugar is incorporated. Do not over-mix. Spoon batter into tubed angel food cake pan**. Do not grease or butter pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and invert pan to cool, so cake cools upside-down. Cool 1 ½ to 2 hours until cake is completely cool. Turn pan right-side up and run knife around sides. Pull cake out of pan. Run knife around inside tube and then flip cake over onto platter.
- Cut cake into wedges using a serrated knife and sawing action; do not cut straight down through the cake. It will remain light and fluffy. Serve drizzled with raspberry, blueberry or pomegranate balsamic** and top with whipped cream.