Author's Notes: A classic Linzer cookie is a real treat, with rich, buttery shortbread sandwiching a layer of tart raspberry jam. A sprinkling of powdered sugar on top makes these cookies especially festive for the holidays.
Linzer Cookies Print Recipe
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Raspberry Jam
- Powdered Sugar for Decorating
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla then add flour and mix well. Caution: do not overmix as cookies will be tough.
- Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic or waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F when you remove the dough from refrigerator. Roll out dough using confectioners’ sugar instead of flour; this is the trick to having tender cookies. Cut into desired shapes. You will need 1 bottom cookie that has nothing cut out and a top cookie that is the same shape and size with your desired shape cut out.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. To assemble:
- Take the top cookies with the cut out and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Spread raspberry jam on bottom cookie and then place the top cookie with the cutout on top of the plain cookie.