Matzo Ball Soup
Matzo Ball Soup Print Recipe
- 1 5-6 Lb. Whole Chicken
- 1 Large Onion, peeled & quartered
- 5 Stalks Celery, cut in half, but leaving on the leafy part of the celery
- 3 Large Carrots, peeled & halved
- 2 Tbs. Whole Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
- Water to fully cover chicken & vegetables
- 1 Pkg. Matzo Ball Mix
- Remove giblets and completely wash chicken. Place in a large stockpot along with vegetables and herbs. Add at least 3 qts. of water or until chicken and vegetables are completely covered.
- Simmer on medium heat approximately 2 hours, or until chicken begins to fall apart. Remove chicken and vegetables and strain to achieve a clear broth. You may have to strain it 3 or 4 times to make sure the broth is clear.
- Reserve chicken to add to soup or chicken salad.
- Let broth cool completely to skim off fat; reserve fat.
- Make matzo balls according to package directions, substituting reserved chicken fat for cooking oil.