Mussels in a Creamy Sauce
Author's Notes: This classic recipe for steamed mussels makes for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Serve with crusty bread for soaking up the creamy sauce.
Mussels in a Creamy Sauce Print Recipe
Serves 2 • Ready in 20min
- 2 Pounds mussels in shells, debearded and scrubbed
- 2 Small onions, finely diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 8 Sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 Cup Dry white wine
- 1 Cup cream
- 4 Tbs. Finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread to serve
- Wash the mussels under cold, running water. Discard any open ones that won’t close when lightly squeezed.
- Soften the onion and garlic in the butter over medium to low heat. Add the thyme and wine, and increase the heat to high. Add the mussels, cover with the lid and steam for 6 to 10 minutes until the mussels have opened.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and any unopened mussels.
- Stir in the cream and chopped parsley, and season well.
- Remove from the heat, spoon into two large bowls and serve with a side of crusty bread.