Quiche with Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
Author's Notes: Savory and full of flavor, this quiche contains our November featured flavor Wild Mushroom & Sage Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Quiche with Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 1hr 30min
- 1 ½ Cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ½ Cup (1 stick) Butter, unsalted
- 3 to 6 Tbsp. Ice Water
- 3 Tbsp. Mushroom and sage olive oil, divided
- 12 oz Mushrooms, a mix of Baby Bella and mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, leaves pulled from stems and chopped
- 4 Shallots, diced
- 1 Bunch Rainbow Chard, stems removed, washed and chopped
- ¼ Cup Dry Sherry or White Wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ Tsp. Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3oz Gruyere cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 ¾ Cups Half and Half
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and toss them with the flour. With a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Don’t overwork the dough – it’s good if some larger pieces of butter remain (helps for a flakier crust). Sprinkle the ice water over the flour/butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing gently using a fork or fingers. Continue to gently mix the water into the dough until it is just moist enough to stay together. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough disk to a ¼” thick circle 12-14” round. Transfer dough to a pie plate, draping excess over the edges. Trim excess dough and crimp the edge. Place a piece of parchment over the dough and fill with pie weights. Bake until light golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Heat 1 ½ Tbsp. Mushroom and sage olive oil in a large saute pan. Add mushrooms, thyme, and a pinch of salt and cook until slightly browned and liquid is released, about 10 minutes. Place mushrooms in a bowl to cool. Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan. Add shallots and cook until slightly softened. Add chard and cook until chard is wilted and releases liquid. Add sherry or white wine to deglaze the pan and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. On a cutting board, chop the cooled mushrooms into small pieces. Return to bowl. Add cooked chard mixture and stir to combine. Mix in grated cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, and nutmeg.
- Place chard and mushroom mixture inside blind baked crust. Pour egg mixture over the filling. Bake about 45 minutes, or until filling is just set and top is golden brown. Cool before serving.