Author's Notes: Most every vegetable can be pickled, and this recipe for quick pickled veggies makes it easy to add that bit of crunch and acid to a dish. We love quick pickling cucumbers and kohlrabi, a strange looking veg with a firm, mild taste that stands up to vinegar like a champ. Using rice vinegar, which has a lower acidity, will keep the veggies firm and give them a nice mild flavor.
Quick Pickles Print Recipe
- 1 cup kohlrabi, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup English cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Place sliced vegetables in a medium non-reactive bowl.
- In a liquid measuring cup, measure the vinegar. Add sugar and salt and mix until dissolved.
- Pour liquid over vegetables. Toss to coat, repeating every few minutes to ensure all the slices are getting exposed to the vinegar.
- Let stand 15-30 minutes until desired pickle is reached.
- Use on everything from sandwiches, grain bowls, salmon and snacking.