Author's Notes: Rhubarb and sparkling wine are each incredible on their own, but when paired together in a bubbly drink they both shine. This rhubarb syrup can be used in plenty of other cocktail applications, and will pair well with gin, vodka or even mezcal.
Rhubarb Spritz Print Recipe
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 bottle of dry sparkling wine
- Chop rhubarb into 1/2 inch chunks. Add to a heavy bottomed saucepan with the sugar.
- Cook on low until the rhubarb breaks down and starts to bubble, about 30-45 minutes. Add more sugar as necessary.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the syrup and mix.
- Cool syrup until room temperature. Using a sieve, strain the syrup into a mason jar. Use a rubber spatula to press the rhubarb solids to extract all that liquid goodness.
- Once the syrup is completely cool, add 2 Tbsp to the bottom of a champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine.