Rice Bowl with Jammy Egg and Ponzu
Author's Notes: A Le Creuset rice pot makes the perfect fluffy white rice, which gets topped with a soft boiled jammy egg, toasted nori, pickled ginger and fresh crunchy veggies. You can get creative with this bowl, adding whatever veggies in your crisper drawer need using, or pump it up with some grilled salmon or crispy pork belly. Serve right in your rice pot, or in wide, shallow bowls.
Rice Bowl with Jammy Egg and Ponzu Print Recipe
- Serves 4.
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup pickled ginger
- 1 European cucumber
- 1 package toasted nori or seaweed snacks
- handful of microgreens
- optional additions: furikake, grilled salmon, raw ahi tuna, sauteed mushrooms, bean sprouts, seaweed salad, avocado, etc etc.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Turn the heat down slightly and carefully add the eggs. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Run cold water over the eggs for a few minutes. Once cooled, peel eggs
- Using a mandoline or peeler, slice the cucumber into thin ribbons.
- Prep any other veggies or toppings.
- To assemble bowls, place a cup of cooked white rice in the bottom of each bowl. Place the cucumber, ginger, microgreens (and any other toppings) on top of the rice. Add a few sheets of seaweed. Cut eggs in half (hamburger-style) and add to bowls. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of ponzu on top of bowl. If you're feeling fancy, sprinkle sesame seeds, bonito flakes, furikake or green onions on top.