Roast Turkey with Caramelized Onion & Sage Gravy
Author's Notes: Don't miss out on this gravy- the caramelized onions and addition of balsamic vinegar make it truly remarkable.
Roast Turkey with Caramelized Onion & Sage Gravy Print Recipe
- 4 Tbs. Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- ½ Cup 18 Year Traditional Balsamic
- 1 ½ Pounds Sliced Onions
- 1 14-15 pound Turkey, neck, heart and gizzard removed and reserved
- 2 Tbs. Butter, room temperature
- 8 Large Whole Sage Leaves plus 1 ½ Tsp. chopped sage
- 2 Cups (or more) chicken broth
- 6 Tbs. All Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Dry White Wine
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425˚F. Toss onions and 3 Tbs. olive oil in large roasting pan. Roast until golden brown, stirring every 15 min.; about 1 hr. Add balsamic during last 15 minutes of roasting onions.
- Meanwhile rinse turkey inside and out and pat dry. Slide hand under skin of breast to loosen skin, spread butter under skin over breast meat. Place 4 sage leaves under skin on each side of breast.
- Tuck wing tips under turkey, tie legs loosely together with kitchen twine. Rub turkey all over with remaining Tbs. mushroom sage olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey atop onions in pan. Add neck, heart and gizzard pieces to pan.
- Roast turkey 30 min. Pour 2 cups broth into pan. Tent turkey loosely with foil, and reduce temp to 350˚F. Roast 2 hrs., then uncover.
- Continue to roast until turkey is golden brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165˚F, basting occasionally with pan juices, (about 1 hr. longer).
- Transfer to platter, then cover loosely with foil and let stand 30 min. to rest. Remove neck and giblet pieces from pan; discard. Pour onion mixture through a strainer into fat separator, let stand, reserving onions in strainer. Gravy:
- Heat 2 Tbs. of the turkey fat in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped sage, stir 30 seconds. Add flour, whisk until beginning to color, about 3 min. (mixture will be dry and crumbly.)
- Add wine while whisking. Gradually whisk in pan drippings from separator. Simmer until gravy thickens to desired consistency, whisking frequently.
- Add caramelized onions back into the gravy sauce pan and heat through thoroughly. Adjust salt & pepper to taste.