Author's Notes: Easy and cheesy, there's no better combination.
Scalloped Potatoes Print Recipe
- 3 Tbs. Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic, grated using a Microplane
- 1 Medium Leek, white and green parts only, finely chopped
- 2 Shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Tarragon, finely minced
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes, sliced 1/8” thick
- ½ Cup Grated Gruyere Cheese
- 2 Tbs. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- ½ Tsp. Pepper
- In a wide saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leek and shallots, then saute until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until lightly fragrant, then stir in cream, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer before adding the potatoes. Gently add potatoes so they are immersed in the cream mixture.
- Cook at a low simmer until the potatoes have just begun to soften, but not so much that they fall apart.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Add half of the potatoes to a buttered casserole or deep-dish pie plate. Sprinkle with half of the gruyere. Add the rest of the potatoes, then pour in enough of the cream mixture to barely cover the potatoes. Cover with foil and place on a baking sheet to catch any drips before putting in the oven.
- Bake covered for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked (testing with a knife for doneness).
- Remove the foil, then sprinkle the top of the casserole with the remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.
- Place back in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and the top is lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Top with the gruyere and sprinkle with the Parmesan.