Shauna’s Torchy Tex-Mex Queso Dip
Shauna’s Torchy Tex-Mex Queso Dip Print Recipe
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 5 Anaheim green chiles
- 8 medium tomatillo peppers
- 2 Serrano chile peppers
- 6 garlic cloves (for roasting)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 T butter
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 c half & half
- 1lb white American cheese (from deli counter) cubed
- 1/2 c sharp cheddar
- 1 T lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Roast all of the chiles, the tomatoes and garlic under broiler on high with the top rack on second rung from the top for a few minutes. Watch the contents closely so they don't burn.
- The garlic should come out after about 3-5 minutes and set aside.
- Flip the chiles and tomatoes over then return to broiler for another few minutes until well roasted with charred areas on skin of chiles.
- Once roasted remove and let cool.
- Put the roasted tomatillos, serranos, garlic and salt in a blender, blend well and reserve.
- Once remaining Anaheim chiles have cooled, remove stems, seeds, skin and rinse under cool water. Reserve roasted green flesh of the pepper.
- Dice into small pieces and reserve in bowl.
- Remove skin from tomatoes, dice into small pieces and reserve.
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot , melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add green chiles and tomatoes, mix well.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Pour in half & half and the cubes of American cheese.
- Stir often as you allow the cubes to melt into the mixture.
- Add the sharp cheddar and stir to melt.
- Add the verde sauce, stir.
- Continue to stir to melt cheese and allow mixture to come together.
- Reduce heat to prevent scorching.
- Once the mixture has come together and you have something resembling queso, add the lime juice and salt.
- Stir some more. The more time the queso has to cook with the chiles, the more the complex flavors of the chiles will shine through.
- Serve with hot sauce, chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese.
Looking for more delicious recipes?