Shaved Carrot Salad with Roasted Shallots
Shaved Carrot Salad with Roasted Shallots Print Recipe
- 4 Shallots
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 4 large Carrots
- An ice water bath
- 1 cup fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Half a Lemon
- 1 Tbs. Red Wine Vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the shallots and trim them into quarters.
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in a small skillet until it smokes then add the shallots and some salt. Allow to caramelize briefly before placing the whole pan in the oven.
- Meanwhile prepare your ice water bath by emptying an ice cube tray into a bowl and covering the ice with water.
- Remove the shallots from the oven after 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Peel and trim the ends of the carrots, then using a vegetable peeler or a mandoline, shave thin strips of carrot into the ice water bath. The carrots should be thin enough that they begin to curl.
- Save the cores of the carrots, chop them into chunks and steam for 5 minutes until very soft then mince, season with salt and a tiny bit of lemon and set aside.
- Allow the carrots to soak for 10 minutes before straining them well and adding them to a bowl with the shallots, steamed carrots, remaining olive oil, cilantro, lemon, and vinegar.
- Season with salt and toss well enough to coat but not so much that you’ll bruise the cilantro. Serve immediately.
Looking for more delicious recipes?