Spicy Grilled Clams with Chorizo
Author's Notes: We used a deep cast iron combo cooker for this recipe, but any 3-4 quart grill safe dutch oven will work.
Spicy Grilled Clams with Chorizo Print Recipe
- 24 clams, cleaned and soaked in cold water
- 1 Tbsp LeRoux Olive Oil
- 12 oz dry cured chorizo
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- grilled bread to serve
- Heat grill. Slice chorizo in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/4" slices.
- On the stove, heat olive oil in a small cast iron dutch oven. When the oil is shimmering, add the chorizo and cook until browned and fat renders out of the sausage, stirring frequently. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Add the can of tomatoes, crushing the whole tomatoes into small pieces with your hands as you add them to the pot. Add chopped garlic and black pepper.
- Cook until liquid has reduced and tomato pieces are falling apart. Add white wine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer pot to the hot grill.
- With the liquid simmering, add clams to the pot and cover. Cook clams over a simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until opened. Toss clams with sauce, lemon zest and parsley. Serve with grilled bread for dipping.