Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Frosting
Author's Notes: These cupcakes are a rich chocolate cake with a perfect, boozy frosting. Use a Guinness for your stout and you've got a perfect Saint Patrick's Day dessert. When you make these, be sure you share them with us!
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Frosting Print Recipe
Makes 24 cupcakes.
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Stout
- 1 Stick, plus 2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
- ¾ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cups Sour Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2½ Tsp. Baking Soda Frosting:
- 2 Sticks Butter, melted
- 1 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 6 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Irish whiskey, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the top of two 12-cup muffin pans and line with cupcake liners.
- Combine Stout and butter in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until butter is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa and brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Add this to the beer mixture and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, sift together flour and baking soda; mix the flour into the batter in two batches until just mixed in.
- Using a large cookie scoop, fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes (until an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
- Let stand 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan and cool on rack.
- Once they have cooled completely, frost with Chocolate Irish Whiskey frosting.
- Mix together melted butter and cocoa in a medium bowl. Allow butter and cocoa mixture a few minutes to cool.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Stir in vanilla and add whiskey to taste.
- Add more whiskey or sugar to adjust for consistency.
Looking for more delicious recipes?