Big Ol' Weeknight Salad
Author's Notes: Our CSA share keeps delighting us with fresh summer veggies, but sometimes we just want to throw it all together in a huge dinner salad. In this recipe, we used the red leaf lettuce, young white turnips, dill and scallions from our share, along with some added protein in the form of chickpeas and eggs. A handful of pickles and a quick homemade vinaigrette ties the whole thing together.
Big Ol' Weeknight Salad Print Recipe
- One head red leaf lettuce, washed, dried and torn into pieces
- 1 bunch hakurei turnips, scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- LeRoux Olive Oil
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- Handful of gherkins or other pickled things, chopped
- Your house vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 425. Spread chickpeas on a 1/4 sheet rimmed baking sheet. Add smoked paprika, garlic granules, salt and a healthy drizzle of olive oil. Stir to coat and bake for 20-30 minutes or until crispy, stirring occasionally.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter. Add turnips and toss to coat. Cook turnips without moving around in the pan so the bottom side gets nicely browned. Flip with tongs to brown the other side. Cook until all sides are browned and turnips are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide lettuce between two low bowls. Arrange toppings in stripes atop lettuce. Dress with your favorite vinaigrette.
Looking for more delicious recipes?