Cast Iron Chicken with Lemon and Thyme
Cast Iron Chicken with Lemon and Thyme Print Recipe
- 3 lb. whole Chicken
- 2 Tbs. LeRoux Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Thyme
- Half a Lemon
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place a 12 inch cast iron skillet over a medium flame.
- Butterfly the chicken by removing the backbone and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet then place the chicken skin side down and place a weight on the top of the bird (we prefer two bricks wrapped in aluminum foil).
- Allow the chicken skin to render for 10 minutes before shaking free in the pan and basting well with hot oil.
- After cooking for 20 minutes total, skin side down, flip the chicken over, baste the skin well, add the thyme and place in the oven on the middle rack for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, baste the skin one last time, squeeze the lemon into the pan and allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
Looking for more delicious recipes?