Author's Notes: Fermented carrot sticks are a great crunchy fermented snack and an easy introduction to making and enjoying fermented foods. Prepared according to this recipe, they are fairly mild in flavor. Later, add some garlic cloves and peppercorns for a little extra kick, if you prefer.
Fermented Carrots Print Recipe
Yields 1 jar
- 1 Qt. Water
- 1-3 Tbsp. Sea Salt**
- 2-3 Lbs. Carrots, cut into sticks
- Dissolve salt in water.
- Place the carrot sticks in the jar and pour the liquid over the carrots, leaving 1-2 inches headspace.
- If necessary, weigh the carrots down under the brine to keep them submerged.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the carrots are finished to your taste, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop as the carrots age.