Maine Lobster Mac and Cheese
Author's Notes: Combine comfort food with the ultimate New England delicacy in this rich and flavorful Lobster Mac and Cheese.
Maine Lobster Mac and Cheese Print Recipe
Serves 6-8 • Ready in 1hr 40min
- 1 ½ Pound Lobster
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Tsp. Dry Mustard
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 Pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ Pound Macaroni Pasta, uncooked
- Fill a large pot with salted water and set it over high heat to come to a boil. Plunge lobster into water and cover pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until it is bright red. Check doneness by pulling an antenna; if it comes off without resistance, the lobster is done. Remove lobster to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees, with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Use a tablespoon of butter to butter a 9-by-13-inch-square baking pan.
- In a blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne and nutmeg, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add grated cheese and uncooked pasta and stir well to combine. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack lobster claws and tail over the bowl and remove the meat, reserving all liquid that comes out of the lobster. Roughly chop lobster meat.
- Uncover baking pan, gently stir in lobster meat and up to 2 tablespoons of the reserved lobster juices, and dot with remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes more, until browned on top. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.