Peach and Blueberry Grunt
Author's Notes: This is the perfect dessert to make while camping, cooking out, or even inside on the stove when you've got an abundance of fresh fruit. The biscuits steam up super fluffy and create an incredible textural contrast to the fruit filling. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a splash of fresh cream.
Peach and Blueberry Grunt Print Recipe
For the fruit filling:
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 peaches, pitted and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water Biscuit Topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a 10 1/4" cast iron skillet or dutch oven, combine all ingredients for fruit mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until peaches are slightly softened. It will look watery, but this is what you want - the extra liquid will steam the biscuits.
- Keep fruit at a lower simmer while you prepare the biscuit dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients for the biscuit topping. Using a pastry blender or your hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like a coarse meal.
- Quickly stir in the buttermilk and drop ping pong sized balls of the dough over the simmering fruit.
- Cover the skillet tightly with a lid or aluminum foil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until biscuits are fluffy and fully cooked. Alternate fruit combinations: 1 lb chopped rhubarb + 6oz raspberries 3 firm green apples + 1 cup whole cranberries Peaches + candied ginger Plums + cardamom