Poached Shrimp Salad
Author's Notes: The only heat that is required for this salad is a small pot of boiling water, making this a great mid-summer salad. Using fresh gulf shrimp here makes a big difference, as it is the highlight of this refreshing salad.
Poached Shrimp Salad Print Recipe
- 1 lb gulf shrimp, shell left on
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, washed and torn into large pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radish
- 4 eggs
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, add sliced shallots, lemon juice and tarragon. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and let dressing sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add shrimp. Simmer 3-4 minutes (depending on the size of the shrimp) until just cooked through. Remove from water, but keep the hot water in the pot and return to a boil.
- Give the shrimp a rinse and once cool, peel and de-vein.
- Gently add the eggs to pot of boiling water. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove from pot and rinse under cold water.
- To assemble salad, arrange lettuce on 4 dinner plates. Arrange radish, cucumber, avocado and shrimp on top of lettuce. Peel eggs and slice in half, placing 2 halves on each plate. Spoon the dressing over the salad, and finish with a few grinds of fresh black pepper and a couple pinches of flake salt.
Looking for more delicious recipes?