Author's Notes: A traditional holiday dessert in England, this steamed pudding is deliciously sweet.
Steamed Pudding Print Recipe
Serves 8 • Ready in 2hr 10min
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks, beaten
- 1 Cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- ½ Pint Whipping Cream or Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Molasses
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 1.5 Cups All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ¼ - ½ Cup Finely Chopped Nuts or Diced Dried Fruit
- ½ Cup Boiling Water
- Additional Water for steaming
- Allow butter to soften before preparing recipe. In a bowl, combine softened butter, sugar and egg with an electric mixer; add molasses and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stir gently. Add ½ cup of boiling water to the combined mixture and stir to form a smooth batter. Stir in the nuts and/or fruit.
- Lighly coat the inside of the mold with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into the mold. Seal the mold by locking the lid in place.
- Select a pot large enough to fit the mold inside. Place a small round cake rack in the bottom of the pot to keep the mold level. Add enough water to just cover the rack; the mold should not sit in the sater. Bring the water to a boil. Carefully lower the sealed steamed pudding mold into the pot and onto the rack. Cover the pot and lower the heat to simmer. Steam for 2 hours. Check water level occasionally to make sure the pot doesn’t run dry.
- After 2 hours, carefully lift the steamed pudding mold out of the pot using oven mitts and allow it to cool so it is warm to the touch. Then remove the lid and place a serving plate, upside down, over the mold opening. Firmly hold the plate against the mold and flip them over together, releasing the pudding onto the plate. Slice and serve the pudding while still warm.
- For the vanilla topping, in a mixing bowl beat egg yolks, stir in vanilla, and add confectioners' sugar and mix well until incorporated. Add whipping or heavy cream and blend. Do not whip or fluff. Drizzle generous amount of the vanilla topping over the steamed pudding.
Looking for more delicious recipes?