Suzie’s Version of Red Fox Inn Tomato Pudding
Author's Notes: This recipe is an approximation of the dish served at the Red Fox Inn at Horton’s Bay, Michigan (boyhood home of Ernest Hemingway). Adapted over the years by LeRoux team member Suzie Rephan and her mother.
Suzie’s Version of Red Fox Inn Tomato Pudding Print Recipe
- 3 Cans Whole Peeled or Diced Tomatoes, we prefer Muir Glen
- 8 Slices Whole Wheat Toast, cubed
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Hand full of Brown Sugar
- Smash the tomatoes thoroughly through a colander with the juice running into a heavy 5 Qt. enamel coated Dutch oven, or other heavy duty stainless pot. Add the cubed toast, butter and brown sugar.
- Cook on medium, stirring frequently, approx. 2 -3 hours, until the whole dish becomes thick. The longer it cooks, the better it is.
- Serve as a side dish to turkey dinner, or meatloaf.