Pressure Cooker Beef Pho
Pressure Cooker Beef Pho Print Recipe
Serves 6 • Ready in 45min
Ingredients:For pho broth:
- 3 pounds beef knuckle, or other soup bones
- 1 pound boneless chuck roast, whole
- ½ large Fuji apple
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 ounces fresh ginger
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 6 ounces top sirloin
- 12 ounces dried flat rice noodles
- ½ small yellow onion
- Green onions
- Bean sprouts
- Thai basil
- Fresno or Serrano chile
For the broth:
- Peel and cut apple in chunks. Halve onion and cut into thick slices. Peel ginger, cut in chunks, and smash each piece with the side of a knife to release juices.
- In a 6-quart electric pressure cooker, set the saute function and add star anise, cinnamon stick and cloves. Toast for several minutes until fragrant. Add onion and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 7 cups water.
- Add beef bones, beef, apple and salt. Lock the lid, and set on high pressure cook for 30 minutes. When cooking time is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the boneless meat to a bowl and cover with water to keep tender. Strain the broth into a clean pot through a mesh strainer. Discard remaining solids. Skim as much fat as possible from the surface of the broth. Add fish sauce and more salt as needed. Prepare the bowls:
- Freeze the raw sirloin for about 15 minutes, then slice very thinly against the grain. Cut cooked beef against the grain into thin slices.
- Cover the dried noodles with very hot tap water and soak for 20 minutes, or according to package directions. Do not over soak. Drain, then rinse to remove starch.
- Slice small onion and soak in water. Slice green onions and chiles, and roughly chop cilantro. Clean and prepare herbs and bean sprouts. Arrange all add-ins on a plate.
- Bring the broth to a simmer. In another pot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Dunk the soaked noodles into the boiling water for about 15 seconds. Remove from water and divide among 6 bowls.
- Top each bowl of noodles with cooked and raw beef. Mound some onion in the center, then top with green onion and cilantro. Ladle about 2 cups broth into each bowl, making sure to cover the raw beef with the hot broth.